(This is the latest update on Grandpa, written by Gammy and Grandpa).
Dear loved ones and all who pray for us!
We are here with our children and grandchildren, and what a blessing they are to us. This is a time of resting for Allen, though it can be frustrating to just sit and wait. But he is doing a lot of that resting since the treatments have left him with great fatigue. One interesting and shocking thing happened during our last week of treatment. The very last day of radiation, we had an appointment with Allen's doctor overseeing the treatments. She is the one who is a believer and has been so encouraging through everything. She said to him, "you have astounded me!" Then she went on to say that in the early days of seeing him and the treatment, she feared that he would not live to complete them. And that was only 6 weeks. She also said they sometimes ratcheted up the radiation when they were concerned that the person wouldn't live long enough to complete. She thought about doing that for Allen, but then decided not to. On that last day she told us she was so happy she had decided to stay with her original program, since he had so dramatically improved. When we left the office and were in the waiting room, we looked at one another and said, "Wow, that was scary to hear." We were both shocked. I knew it myself, but to hear it from the doctor who deals with this all the time made it very real. And then we both decided that this made the miracle of his coming back that much sweeter. It only emphasized in our hearts that God chose that Allen should live.
We are here with our children and grandchildren, and what a blessing they are to us. This is a time of resting for Allen, though it can be frustrating to just sit and wait. But he is doing a lot of that resting since the treatments have left him with great fatigue. One interesting and shocking thing happened during our last week of treatment. The very last day of radiation, we had an appointment with Allen's doctor overseeing the treatments. She is the one who is a believer and has been so encouraging through everything. She said to him, "you have astounded me!" Then she went on to say that in the early days of seeing him and the treatment, she feared that he would not live to complete them. And that was only 6 weeks. She also said they sometimes ratcheted up the radiation when they were concerned that the person wouldn't live long enough to complete. She thought about doing that for Allen, but then decided not to. On that last day she told us she was so happy she had decided to stay with her original program, since he had so dramatically improved. When we left the office and were in the waiting room, we looked at one another and said, "Wow, that was scary to hear." We were both shocked. I knew it myself, but to hear it from the doctor who deals with this all the time made it very real. And then we both decided that this made the miracle of his coming back that much sweeter. It only emphasized in our hearts that God chose that Allen should live.
One other thing we are learning here (there is a very sharp learning curve for us in all this!) - As Allen said on the trip in on the last day, "Every day has its own special grace." The grace from God is there for every day, and it can be different for each new day. Another thought - Every day has meaning in the Eternal Kingdom of God, no matter what is going on in that day. That is a great source of comfort to us, when one day follows another of just waiting and resting. Today as we rest and wait, in the heavenlies, in God's Kingdom, there is a reason and meaning in this very day.
Janelle
Below I have put Allen's brief description of where we are today, and then I have followed it with Allen's short history of his dramatic decline and return. This is for those who are new to the updates, or those who want to read how God worked so miraculously in this journey.
Update on my cancer treatment and progress: I continue to surprise the oncologist with my progress and lack of serious side effects from the treatment. I have finished with my lifetime limit of 30 radiation treatments and am now resting 3 weeks with Janelle and with our children. Then on the 17th of November, we will return to Houston and have an MRI that will be the basis of the next stage of my therapy. My Christian oncologist just points to the sky and says, "You have help!" So, the battle is still on, fatigue and short term memory are still a problems, as are numbers. Let us all in faith speak out the Scripture that says, "He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases." Matt. 8:17 Please continue to pray for complete healing for God's hand. Thank you
History of Allen's Treatment and Miraculous signs: My symptoms came like a tsunami. On August 6th, Janelle and I were spending quality time with Scott and Lisa at a game lodge near Kruger Park when I began to have short term memory problems and to feel unstable walking down the stairs. On August 15, I saw Dr. Middleton and after hearing the symptoms, he ordered a CAT scan on the next Monday morning, fitting me in as a rushed appointment. By 11 a.m. on that Monday, Janelle and I took the films to Dr. Middleton and he announced to us that I had a Glioblastoma tumor, the worse type of primary brain tumor. So, 24 hours later, we left our house, and that night we were flying to Houston, TX.
--- I say my symptoms was like a tsunami because I left home on August 18th pretty normal, but by the time I was in the Johannesburg airport, I was disoriented and got lost twice. The next day when I got to Houston, I could not easily remember where our room was in the house. I began a downward spiral of lethargy and depression. Three and a half weeks later, on September 11th, I saw the radiology-oncologist who was to oversee my radiation treatments, and she later told us that she wondered if I would be able to survive and end the treatments. These were the dark weeks for Janelle. ---
A biopsy was preformed that confirmed it was glioblastoma brain cancer, and on the 16th of September, the radiation treatments and the chemo began. But, as hundreds of faithful saints were praying all over the world, miraculously after the 4th radiation treatment, I had a complete turn around. Short term memory began to return. The depression lifted. Strength returned to my body. I was able to begin taking walks with Janelle. Each day I became stronger and stronger. Other than losing my hair at the points of radiation I have had no side effects, from either the chemo or the radiation. I am a new Allen with a shaved head and goatee. I finished my 30 radiation treatments on October 27th and now must wait for three weeks to let the brain stabilize before taking an MRI to determine future treatment. It was on the last day of treatment that my wonderful doctor told us that, when she first saw me, she thought I would perhaps not live long enough to finish these treatments. She made the statement, "You have astounded me! You are not the same person who walked in here that first time."
So, through the prayers of so many of you, God has given us miraculous signs that He is healing me.
Please continue to pray that the my short term memory will continue to improve and that I will be completely healed.
We thank God for each of you and your many prayers. May God's blessings rest on you!
Grandpa's new look---and AW's new look (he buzzed his hair to honor his dad!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment