Friday, April 10, 2009

Trying out something new

I love cookies! And I love the pretty ones that are so nicely decorated! I wish I had some artistic talent, but I just don't---(I was always more the athletic type, never the artistic type). Anyway I have always wanted to decorate cookies, and was jealous of other people who could. This week I was really inspired (with Josh's party just a few weeks away) and went to the store to get supplies and came home ready to start baking and decorating. I was surprised by how fun it was, even though it's really not that easy!! This is what I did today---baked cookies from scratch, made frosting (several colors) and decorated---well, more like just filling in the outlines. It's a start and it's fun and the boys (well, mostly Jackson) loved helping. And we'll all love eating the finished product!!
Three dozen cookies--shaped like butterflies, daisies, musical notes and trains.
A green daisy
A green daisy with star-tip flowers in the middle (didn't turn out so good)
Some pink and purple cookies
The baggie I was using exploded and made "spaghetti" (I have real decorating bags, but didn't want to waste those with just experimenting)

3 comments:

Amy said...

I have not tried cookies yet...I am still working on improving my skills at making cakes. What recipe did you use for the cookies? I can't seem to find a sugar cookier recipe that I like.

Mom x 3 said...

I used the Wilton roll-out cookie recipe from the back of the cookie cutter. Tastes good, but I ended up using more flour than the recipe called for because it kept sticking to the rolling pin. Next time around I might try looking for a different recipe---there are so many online, but how do you choose? Did you make Layna's cupcake cake?? So cute!!

Das Mutter said...

Try the Betty Crocker recipe, and put the cut cookies in the freezer for a minute before they go into the oven. Take them out of the oven no more than 7 min after baking, let them sit for no more than 5 min, then let them cool. Also, using really cold butter in the recipe helps keep the dough nice and firm so the cookies don't lose shape. Nice job! Looking forward to more.