Monday, September 8, 2008

Allen Wade's trip to the ER!

Boy, we never seem to have a boring weekend! This weekend, AW started having abdominal pains Saturday afternoon, but thought it may have just been something he ate. The pains continued into Sunday and he spent most of the day lying down or sleeping. I told him to go to the ER, but he refused, saying he was okay and hoping that it would just go away! Big, tough Marine!! Saturday night we called Krista, who is a Physicians Assistant, and she told him to go to the ER because it seemed like he had the sympotons of an appendicitis. We called our on-call doctor who also told him to go to the ER, but by then it was 10pm and we didn't think anything would be done that night (since AW wasn't doubled over in pain or anything that severe). He chose to spend the night at home and try and rest. This morning he woke up at 5am and at 6am drove himself to the ER. I was at home getting the boys ready for school and getting ready to start another week of school myself. By 9am, AW had blood drawn, was hooked up to an IV, and was getting ready for his CT scan. The scan showed an enflamed and swollen appendix, so it was determined that it needed to be removed today. He was put on the surgery schedule and I was stuck at school and could not be there with him. (I know, I get the award for wife of the year!) I got a call from a nurse at 2:30 saying he was taken into the OR and that the surgery was underway. Then shortly after 3pm, the surgeon called me to tell me that it was over, he had done great, the appendix was removed laproscopically and that AW was in recovery. I finished the day at school, went to pick up the boys and took them to Joshua's doctor appointment. Joshua had his 15-month well baby check-up and also got shots! Poor guy!! He was a trooper and didn't cry for long! Jackson cheered him right up and gave him a truck to play with! My boys are the sweetest! Then, we were on our way over to the hospital to visit Daddy! (May I add here that all today has been pouring down rain and I have had to try and keep both boys and myself somewhat dry with an old and broken umbrella!) The hospital visit was bittersweet. Jackson kept saying, "Why can't we take Daddy home with us??" It broke my heart to tell him that Daddy has to stay in the hospital for the night. The boys really loved seeing Daddy!! Hugs and kisses all around! Daddy was a bit drowsy, as he was in quite a bit of pain and was given some morphine for the pain. We stayed for about a half an hour and then it was home for bedtime. The nurses were very sweet and one was coming in as we were leaving. I said to her, "Take care of him!" with my voice cracking and I thought I just might start crying right then and there, but I held it together! I have to be the strong, at least for now! Bedtime was good--Joshua fell asleep easily, hope he sleeps well tonight with no terrors! Jackson was really aware that Daddy wasn't there and was quite a bit clingier and emotional. It took him a long time to settle down. Once Daddy called, and Jackson got to talk to Daddy, I think he felt much better and was able to finally fall asleep! I pray we all are able to sleep well. I pray AW recovers quickly and can be released tomorrow. The boys want their Daddy home, and so do I!! I'm also praying for some boring weekends! No more excitement for us for a while! =)

2 comments:

Das Mutter said...

What a weekend! I'm glad AW is doing well...you are all troopers in my book! :)

Mom x 3 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.